Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - BBC Radio: Mini Review

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Neverwhere is the story of Richard Mayhew, a 30 something Londoner who, through a random act of kindness, finds himself caught up in an adventure in "London Below", an alternate London that operates under it's own set of behaviours and rules (physics included). This is a pretty standard quest narrative, to be honest, featuring your typical damsel in distress, wild beastie and pursuit by second tier bad guys, so nothing really new, but it does manage to entertain as the narrative is brisk and moves well. I suspect that had I been reading the book, it likely would have come away with 3 stars. A lot of the characters feel a bit thin, the women are particularly one note, lacking much complexity, and Natalie Dormer, and Sophie Okonedo in particular, deserve a lot of credit for imbuing their characters with more depth than I suspect is apparent on the page. James McAvoy makes a very appealing Richard, which is important because Richard does occasionally come off as a bit of a twit, but I would have to say that, and this will come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, Anthony Head and David Schofield really walk away with the production. To be fair, they do have the fun parts (Mr. Croup and Valdemar, respectively). All in all, definitely an entertaining way to spend 3 hours! Thanks BBC!