The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty: Mini Review

The Hypnotist's Love Story[HYPNOTISTS LOVE STORY][Paperback] - LianeMoriarty

This is my first Liane Moriarty book and I'm still a bit unsure of what to make of it. The story is relatively simple. Ellen is a hypnotherapist whose new boyfriend has a stalker. Ellen is a bit taken with the idea and the relationship evolves with various ups and downs that are only slightly complicated by the addition of the stalker.

Ms. Moriarty has a breezy, easy to read style that is highlighted by some really lovely phrasing and poignant, sometimes painful, in-sights. I raced through this book, which is something I haven't really been able to say in a long time. On the other hand, I didn't really connect with any of the characters in a large way. I found all of them a bit irritating at some point or another, with a lead male character that was so bland I can't actually remember his name (was it Colin? Stephen? Miles? *shrugs*) and a disturbing undertone of, I don't know, disdain maybe, towards the female relationships in the novel. I honestly don't know if disdain is the right word here, she just didn't seem to like women much. And to be fair, there's some truth to way she depicts the women in this novel and their interaction with each other, it's certainly recognizable, but it's a bit like she's chosen to highlight the insecurities and pettiness and inconsistencies that can be part of female relationships without including the complexities and nuances and warmth that they also reflect. And it's a bit subtle, this negative reflection. I'm just not certain if it was intentional or not, but either way it left me with a bit of a cold feeling towards the characters. And then there's the last 1/4 of the story, which I felt resolved itself a little too neatly.

But, having said all that, I do want to add that despite the issues I may have had, I did find myself enjoying the writing style, and engaged enough with the story to follow it through to the end. I am definitely interested in trying another book by Ms. Moriarty. Maybe I'll give Big Little Lies a try.